Floating weightlessly your body is perfectly supported by a cushion of silky skin-temperature liquid. Freed from all sensation of gravity, temperature, touch, sight and sound (which together account for 90% of normal neuro-muscular activity), you conserve and redirect vast amounts of natural physical and mental energy.
The ultra-deep relaxation of floating “resets” the body’s hormonal and metabolic balance, strengthening resistance to and accelerating recovery from the effects of stress, illness, injury or strenuous exercise.
Unless you are an astronaut, this is the only situation you will encounter where your body is free from the harmful forces of gravity. Every single muscle in the body is allowed to totally relax, with ear plugs in and, if you wish, the tank’s interior lights off, the quietness and the darkness allow the mind to drift into the deepest state of relaxation possible.
The buoyancy created by the dense Epsom-salt solution effectively removes the effects of gravity on the body, and brings the individual close to an experience of total weightlessness. A huge amount of brain-power is used every second in order to deal with the strain that gravity places on one’s body. As the body is now totally supported, and external stimuli is reduce there is nothing for the brain to do and every muscle is allowed to relax completely.
With no commands needing to be sent out, the logical side of the brain is rendered redundant, and its activity slows down until it synchronizes with the creative side. This leaves the individual in a dream-like state, akin to the thoughts experienced just before you go to sleep.
While the state of relaxation may be deep and profound, the individual’s brain stays dreamily alert. To get technical, the brain gradually shifts from its usual “alpha” state to generate theta waves, the state-of-mind that Buddhist monks try to reach through hours of meditation and years of training. You can achieve this in a matter of minutes just by lying back into the silky warm sea of bliss that is the floatation experience!
Things to Know Before You Float
- Avoid caffeine prior to the float session. Caffeine is fine after a float, but the stimulating effects can be counterproductive to the float itself.
- Avoid shaving your legs 12-24 hours prior to your float. Epsom salt will not harm your shaved skin, but it will make the first 5-10 minutes a little uncomfortable while your skin gets used to the salt stinging.
- Do not dye your hair 72 hours prior to a float session.
- Eat a small meal before hand so hunger does not distract you.
- You may bring a swimsuit if you wish, however most find the best way to float is “all natural”
- Come in without expectations as to what will happen.
- We provide towels, robes, shampoo, conditioner, ear plugs, and lotion for you in the shower room.
- Bring a contact lens case and solution if you wear contacts.